Business name and ISBNs

In this last week there has been little time for writing as such—I have been flat out on a steep learning curve, finding out in detail what my job as self-publisher involves. Using ‘Self-Publishing made simple’ by Euan Mitchell as my starting point, I began with a business name. Euan strongly recommends I get one, and that’s enough for me. He says it clarifies the distinction between the author and the publisher on the part of booksellers, as well as down-playing the fact that the books are self-published.  Once I had decided on a name (a simple process that took me 3 days, because I made the mistake of asking too many people to give an opinion), I was able to register on-line at ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission). I now have a registered business name ‘TT press’ for the next three years.

The next task was obtaining ISBNs. For this I visited Thorpe-Bowker online. Thorpe-Bowker allocates ISBNs for all Australian books. I purchased a block of 10 ISBNs and 4 barcodes. I have since discovered that I also need one of the ISBNs to be a series ISBN, so I will need one more barcode to complete the first series.

I also had to write the ‘Copyright blurb’ and in researching what to write for that, I discovered that I will be required to send a copy of the published books to the National Library of Australia. I can also receive Cataloguing-in-Publication data from them and this means that my books will be added to the national database that libraries use. I have worked out how to apply for this, so, as soon as I receive my ISBNs I will be doing that.

My head is spinning from all this, and I still haven’t had a go at uploading photos (or even searching for  a photo to upload). That will be my task for the next post.

Until then…

Trish

Monday’s post—a little late!

Everything has suddenly become hectic this week. I meet with Karen on Tuesday to discuss the final tweaks for Reader 1 and also to work out the storyboard for Reader 2. 

No matter how hard I look, or how many people also proof read Reader 1 for me, I continue to find typos or, more often, word breaks in the wrong places. I even found more after our meeting. I know there are no major problems—but I want it to be perfect. At the moment I am stuck, struggling with a table, trying to get the word list to cooperate and keep the a japanese words appropriately lined up with their English meanings. This is not as easy as it sounds and I am becoming frustrated. Help is on its way, in the form of my daughter’s partner, who I am expecting to call from Melbourne any minute with a super simple solution. Then my job as writer will be almost over (for Book 1, that is). Karen is going to send me a couple of cover designs from which to choose and I have to look into ISBNs. (I know I’ve got info about ISBNs filed somewhere from a course I’ve done about getting published). It’s probably time to get out the book on self-publishing as I know there’s a lot of work ahead of me that has not a lot to do with actual writing.  

I am finding this whole challenge exciting and feel inspired and invigorated by the progress I have made so far.

By my next post I will work out how to upload some images and make this Reader project come to life in this blog.

Until Sunday! (I’ll have my head down, mastering technology)

Cheers   Trish